Thursday, June 16, 2005

Amerikaners Recipe

Well, here it is. Unfortunately, most of the ingredients are weighed and not done by cups so I checked my chart and wrote down the approximate equivalents. I haven't baked them using cups so let me know how they turn out. My chart is usually very accurate.

Ingredients for 10 cookies:
125 gram soft butter (1/2 cup)
125 gram sugar (1/2 cup)
1 package vanilla sugar(you can leave it out and put a bit of bourbon vanilla in)
1 pinch of salt
2 eggs
1 Tablespoon of lemon juice
270 grams of flour (1 heaping cup)
1 Tablespoon of baking powder

For the icing:
120 grams of powdered sugar (1 cup)
2- 3 Tablespoons of hot water( I used lemon juice because I love lemon flavor)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Put baking paper on a cookie sheet(I used 2). Beat the butter until it's creamy then slowly add sugar, vanilla, salt, eggs and lemon juice. Mix well.

Mix flour and baking powder in a bowl-the recipe says sift it, so if you have tons of free time to sit and sift your flour go ahead otherwise don't and they will come out fine-mine do! Pour the baking powder flour mixture into the wet ingredients and mix well. The dough should be pretty stiff because you don't want the cookies to flatten out while they are cooking. If it isn't add a bit more flour. Drop the dough by spoonfuls on the cookie sheet. Bake for about 12 minutes or until they are brown around the edges and light in the middle. Here is a picture of mine, I have no idea if I've done them correctly but they've passed the yummy test at my house. The two in the back left I turned over and that's the side that will be iced.

Now just mix the powdered sugar and water or juice and decorate your amerikaners. We like to sprinkle jimmies on them.
I hope you like them and once again, let me know how they turn out.

2 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

Thanks Kimberly!

Fortunately I can cook in metric, Imperial and American after living in England, so the original recipe looks "normal" to me.

Can't wait to try this recipe out! (and thanks for the conversions!)

6/18/2005 11:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been desperately looking for an Amerikaner recipe since leaving Germany last summer. It's one of the many things I would fly back for in a heart beat! I'm off to the kitchen to try them out!

5/17/2007 03:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home